Child abuse tracking, investigation & reporting
In 2020, Abto Software was contracted to build an advanced healthcare solution to help medical workers track, investigate and report child abuse. Our team successfully delivered a website and a mobile application, which help healthcare professionals collect and share data about the mental and physical state of patients.
Abto Software was happy to contribute to an initiative aimed at the protection of children’s rights and health. Our solution helps clinicians to record relevant data and investigate alarming cases. Responsible professionals can fill out detailed medical forms, attach photos and videos, documents and victim interviews, which record child assault. This information can be then reviewed by specialists who can submit impressions and conclusions about the patient’s condition.
The project’s main goals can be reduced to the following:
- Building a web platform and a mobile application for smooth cross-platform access
- Implementing several core features to allow healthcare professionals to manage internal processes related to the investigation more efficient
- Following legal industry standards
- Ensuring high-level data security
With extensive field experience in building telemedicine software, Abto Software was the perfect choice for the complex project. The team successfully delivered an advanced healthcare platform for tracking alarming cases associated with child abuse, which helped to increase the campaign’s overall efficiency.
How the solution works
The solution includes the following functionality:
- User profile. In this app’s control, the user can edit his name, role, and email address, change password, and turn the vacation mode on and off.
- Bell notifications. This section contains information about the latest changes made to a case.
- General chat. This section displays the user’s chats with the colleagues involved.
- Quick attachments. By clicking on the camera icon, the user can upload relevant photos and videos, which might be helpful in the further investigation.
Another feature is the advanced search. It can be used to look up information based on victim names, investigation numbers and IDs.
There is also a task list to guide the user through the procedure of adding information to the investigation case:
By clicking on a family case in the investigation section, users get to navigate between the following tabs:
- Overview – this tab contains the information about the assault case in general
- People – this tab contains the information about the people involved
- Notes – this tab contains the notes of the responsible specialist
- Photos – this tab contains relevant materials, including photos, videos, etc.
- Documents – this tab contains medical records and other relevant documents
- Impression – this tab contains the impressions and conclusions of the clinicians involved
It should be noted that the case name does also include some relevant information for much easier navigation. To be more precise, we’re talking about the child’s name and age, the number of other victims in the family, the name and role of the suspected perpetrator.
Our team covered the following tasks:
- Researched the healthcare market focusing on telemedicine solutions with similar core functionality
- Designed and implemented a telemedicine application for web and mobile
- Integrated the delivered solution with the personal devices of involved medical workers
- Tested and launched the telemedicine application
The project was aimed at delivering a solution, which would store capacious amounts of sensitive information. Our engineers have chosen to use S3 Bucket for the secure storing of documents uploaded by the users of the CAP (Consumer Assistance Program). Another hardship was configuring the flow for the smooth processing of data and synchronization of integrated personal devices. These are personal devices of clinicians and other involved parties.
Other challenges faced by the team:
- Implementing a real-time chat for multiple platform users
- Ensuring smooth data synchronization between the web platform and the mobile application
- Providing offline support option
- Providing role-based system access for higher-level data security
Tools and technologies
- ASP.NET Core 3.0
- ASP.NET Core Web API
- EF Core
- Visual Studio 2019
- Visual Studio 2022
- AWS Lambda
- S3 Bucket
- SACWIS API
- Phase 1: February 2020 - June 2020
- Phase 2: February 2021 - ongoing
- 1 Front-end developer
- 2 Back-end developers
- 1 Mobile developer
- 1 QA engineer
Value delivered to business
The team introduced by Abto Software managed to successfully develop a user-friendly web platform and a mobile application for efficient child assault tracking, investigation and reporting. The functionality of the delivered solution includes a real-time chat, user profiles for clinicians, the opportunity to attach relevant files, push notifications, and more. The built telemedicine system provides for:
- Accelerated the investigation process
Involved professionals get to interact seamlessly and share relevant information with colleagues right away. This accelerates the investigation and reporting processes, since the necessary documents can be easily stored and accessed.
- Increased efficiency
One of the features of the developed solution includes personal user profiles. This helps allocate available human resources more wisely.
- Data safety
The implemented S3 Bucket public cloud storage service as well as role-based system access provide for increased security. This decreases the risk of leakage and increases customer confidence.
To find out more about Abto Software expertise, request a quote or get a demo of your custom solution.