Our client is a US diagnostic imaging network that provides high-quality imaging services, including advanced MRI, calcium scoring, and mammography.
Providing high-quality diagnostic imaging research is one of the company’s main goals. The organization’s medical staff is committed to accuracy and preventing cardiovascular diseases as well as cancer and other serious illnesses.
In 2021, our team took on a project for a US diagnostic imaging network. The project’s main objective was the development of an advanced EMR (electronic medical record) system in order to make the work of clinicians a whole more efficient.
Our solution provides the following advantages:
- Seamless staff and patient appointment management
- Easy staff schedule planning
- Secure patient history storing
- Advanced reporting on the overall efficiency of the clinic’s different individual structures
More and more companies in the healthcare industry are using EMR systems to optimize business processes such as appointment management. Through the implementation of EMR systems, medical providers are taking their networks to a new level.
Today, we can see a constantly growing need for advanced EMR systems for efficient business management. According to field experts, the industry is expected to reach $97 billion by 2024, and this is not the limit.
The project’s main objective was creating an advanced EMR system to help medical personnel easily manage clinicians and patient appointments, plan schedules, securely store patient history, and create business reports. The designed electronic medical record solution is independent, to the limit flexible, and easy to plug.
At the start of our cooperation, the client used an outdated system that blocked the personnel from providing patients with high-quality service. Now it’s complemented by our custom software solution that allows to make quick changes and optimize internal processes such as business reporting.
How the solution works
The software is a medical platform, which helps medical providers optimize important operational processes. Such an advanced platform enables the electronic recording, storage and maintenance of patient data. The tool enables clinicians to use patient data more efficiently. Mentioned information might include medical records, test results, diagnoses, information about allergies, and more.
This is how patients can use the platform:
- The patients can schedule their appointments seamlessly from any device
- The patients can easily access their medical records at any given time
- Built-in messengers allow patients to communicate with their treating physicians if necessary
- Insurance cards can be scanned and instantly entered into the EMR system
At the beginning of the cooperation, the main web portal used for internal management was already in place.
- EMR system development
Taking into account data security and privacy concerns, our team designed
a HIPAA compliant electronic medical record system with high end IT infrastructure.
- Scheduling service’ integration
Our team has also integrated a scheduling service, which allows running individual processes on a schedule. Such processes include seamless data migration from database to database, as well as secure data aggregation
to create advanced reports.
- CI/CD and testing
For development, our team applied the CI/CD approach, which allowed us to eliminate any gaps between the individual tasks of each team member. This approach also made it possible to automate development, testing, and the further deployment. The open-source server Jenkins and the service GitHub were used for continuous collaborative development. For testing, our team used Cypress and JEST.
Our team was actively involved in the web portal’s maintenance and constant improvement.
Main challenges faced during the project worth mentioning:
- Most of the project was taken up by the work on the system’s architecture
- HIPAA compliance was one of our main priorities, that is, all data was anonymized
- Our developers didn’t have full access to the already existing database structure, that is, they created comprehensive APIs that did not depend on a specific system
When talking about the development of EMR solutions, HIPAA compliance is an important factor. The act (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) is a federal law that sets out the basic rules for sharing and protecting health information.
Tools and technologies
- ASP.NET Core
- Dapper .NET
- Ocelot API Gateway
- MediatR (CQRS)
- MS SQL 2016
- Kubernetes cluster
- FaxMaker remoting faxing server
- AWS Cognito
- 2021 - May 2022
- 1 Project Manager (team management)
- 1 DevOps Engineer (Kubernetes, CI/CD)
- 1 Front-end Developer (JS, TS, CSS, Vue.js)
- 2 Back-end Developers (.NET, MSSQL, REST services)
- 1 BI Engineer (working on product requirements)
Value delivered to business
The developed EMR system:
- Provides instant access to patient data
The built EMR system provides instant access to accurate information, which helps to improve patient care.
- Significantly decreases human error
The developed EMR system eliminates possible human error, which helps to reduce dangerous risks associated with medications prescribed, equipment used, and other.
- Allows data to be shared easily
The system allows information to be shared across multiple facilities, making it easier to coordinate medical care across a network of clinics.
- Faster registration and efficient appointment management
Enrollment is faster and more efficient with a properly configured EMR solution, which is also improving patient care.