Our company has provided help with designing and developing solutions for several applications which help to manage and to monitor health coverage for pets.
- About the project
- Project Goals and Challenges
- How does pet insurance work?
- Features of the pet insurance portals
- Business Value Delivered
- Tools & Technologies
About the project
Our cooperation began back in 2019. The client was looking for additional development capacity for their project. They were going to improve the existing pet insurance platform and add new underwriters.
Firstly, the team from Abto’s side consisted of 3 developers and 2 QA but nowadays we already have 10 devs, 4 QA, and 1 AQA. Since the beginning of our cooperation, we have done a lot of improvements and modernized all platforms. We have developed loads of features and added new functionalities for new underwriters. Also, our team is taking a part in the migration to the new cloud provider.
Project Goals and Challenges
Our customer was looking for a partner who could help them to modernize, upgrade and create a powerful system for working with new underwriters and users.
Main Goals and Challenges:
- Modernize and upgrade the ‘get a quote’ portal;
- Create a customizable quote engine for easier changing existing underwriters and simplifying adding new ones;
- Cover Quote engine by automation tests for each underwriter;
- Reduce vulnerabilities and make the system more accessible;
- Migrate a system to the Azure cloud;
- Design a system that would follow all rules and terms for each US state.
How does pet insurance work?
The process is pretty simple and straightforward.
- Get a quote and customize a plan that is just right for you and your pet;
- Take your pet to the vet. Visit any licensed vet, emergency clinic, or specialist in the US;
- Send your claim. Pay your pet’s bill, and send your claim along with vet records and invoice from the visit;
- Get money back quickly. Claims are processed in less than 2 weeks.
Features of the pet insurance portals
Our team designed and implemented separate portals for each step.
Get a quote
Users have two options – to use a quote portal or use a call center. For each underwriter, we have customized UI for customer needs.
All flow is ensured through 7 steps:
1. Policy Holder info. In this step, you can choose Individual or Group Coverage and available underwriters for your state.
2. Enrollments Codes.
3. Pet Info. Provide all information about your pet (Name, species, breed, color, age, etc.). All this information is
needed for quote calculation.
4. Discounts. You can choose some special discounts.
5. Quotes. Pick a plan for your pet. You can customize your plan that is the best for your pet.
6. Review all information. Your personal data and Policy info.
7. Payment. Choose payment type and fill in your billing information.
Send the claim
Users have several options for how to submit their pet insurance claims.
- The user portal contains all information about you, your pets, your previous and current policies, and some features for support and submitting claims. Also, you can download your policy packet and review all information about your coverage.
- Mobile application.
- Through support email.
Admin portal for managing and processing claims
All calculations for each plan and each underwriter are automated. Admins just need to take data from your claim and fill it in the system.
Admin portal for managing users
Admin portal for managing, supporting users, policies, transactions, creating different reports and metrics.
Several Console applications (nightly jobs) for managing payments, automated renewal of policies, activation/canceling policies, creating weekly/monthly reports, etc.
The pet insurance system consists of several solutions like Admin Portal, User Portal, Claim Portal, Mobile App, some APIs which we use in several portals, and all nightly jobs which are deployed on Virtual Machines. So, for each solution, we created a specific CI/CD pipeline. But in general, the schema looks like this:
Business Value Delivered
- Made pet insurance more accessible and simpler for users;
- The designed solution increased the count of pet insurance in the US;
- Helped insurance companies with the digitalization and monitoring of insurances and other metrics;
- Automated calculation of claims processing;
- Improved security and flexibility after migration to the cloud.
Tools & Technologies
- .Net Framework 4.7
- MS Azure
- ASP.NET Web API and MVC 5
- Entity Framework ORM
- Unit testing with NUnit
- Angular 8
- Azure App Services
- Azure Web Jobs and Function
- Azure SQL
- Azure Storage
- Azure App Insights
- Azure Active Directory
- Azure Key Vault
- Virtual Machines
- Service Bus
- Notification Hubs
Azure DevOps Services
- Azure CI/CD Pipelines
- Azure Boards
- Azure Test Plans
- Azure DevOps Wiki
What is pet insurance?
Similar to health insurance for you and your family, pet insurance is coverage for dogs and cats that can help you be prepared for unexpected vet costs.
With Pet Insurance, you may be able to cover up to 100% of the veterinary care expenses from any licensed veterinarian, specialist, or emergency clinic across the US.
How does pet insurance work?
Pet insurance financially supports pet owners by providing monetary coverage for various veterinary expenses.
The process can be roughly described as follows:
- Policy selection – the owner first chooses the policy that suits his needs
- Premium payout – the owner then pays the premium, either monthly or annual
- Service receival – when necessary, the pet is taken to the veterinary office
- Claim submission – after paying the bills, the owner can submit a claim for reimbursement
- Claim review – to review the terms, the provider must review the claim
- Financial reimbursement – after approval, the provider finally reimburses eligible expenses
It’s important to read and understand the terms and conditions before purchasing pet insurance and add-ons. Different policies might offer varying degrees of coverage and suit different needs.
What does pet insurance cover?
Pet insurance can vary widely based on the chosen provider, the policy you prefer, and the optional add-ons.
Some policies might cover:
- Accidents – coverage for unexpected injuries, for example broken bones
- Illnesses – coverage for medical conditions, including infections, chronic diseases, and more
- Hospitalization – coverage for veterinary stays
- Surgery – coverage for surgical procedures
- Prescription medications
- Diagnostic tests
- Cancer treatment
- Hereditary and congenital conditions
- Alternative therapies
- Behavioral therapy
- Dental care
- Wellness care
It’s important to induct the terms and conditions, specific limitations, and other critical nuances before buying. Some policies might have waiting periods coverage activation, others have certain exclusions associated with pre-existing conditions, and more.
Why do I need pet insurance?
Now more than ever, pets are playing a significant role in our lives, and it is important to keep them safe and healthy. Perhaps you may have already experienced the cost of veterinary care for your pet.
How do I pay for my coverage?
You can set up an automatic payment from your bank or credit card. As part of your group benefits, a payroll deduction may be available.