Modernization of legacy ERP software continues to be a challenge for most businesses. Like many, our client has relied on in-house development resources over the years to build the ERP system as needed. The majority of IT budget our client was allocating to maintaining legacy code and dealing with the rigidity of ERP solutions.
While the ERP system has served the company well, as the company looks to the future, it seeks continuous improvement in systems that will increase both scalability and global capabilities.
The client worked with Abto Software to plan for the successful modernization of their ERP to the web/mobile, introduce a public API and executive dashboards. The first stage was to analyze the client’s current solution and design a more scalable architecture to support business needs in long-term perspective. Then the development team was to transfer ERP modules that are used daily for the majority of operations. The third part of ERP modernization covered the development of new functionality that included support of Public API and executive dashboards. And then work on transferring the rest of ERP system to web/mobile.
The project kicked off with a 4-developer team and grew quickly to 20 engineers including .Net developers, Requirements Analyst, QA engineers, UI/UX designer. The project team is well underway to transforming client’s ERP software modules into one orderly system with one UI/UX and development standard, fewer discrepancies, code duplication and ongoing maintenance required.
The challenges of ERP system modernization
The requirements for the new ERP software for retail industry included:
- reuse the existing DB;
- the ability to run on any web platform or device;
- Improve performance where needed;
- run as cloud ERP to meet market needs;
- Introduce secure Public API;
- seamlessly connect the new UI;
- be secure, stable as to lower support and maintenance costs;
- be highly performant (operations must be instantaneous despite concurrent use of the application by thousands of users).
Updated ERP modules
ERP software helps the company with inventory tracking and management, supply chain management (SCM) and customer relationship management (CRM). Below we list the updated ERP modules:
- Sales Order Processing
- Finance and Accounting
- Inventory Management
- Purchase Order Processing
- Installations Management
A calendar is used for managing the daily installations workload. The workers are given jobs and their work tickets can be printed if needed. As jobs are completed the system processes payments and keeps a history of completed jobs.
- Sales Analytics and Reporting
- Warehouse Management
Through the close collaboration Abto Software and our US Client, we have realized a state-of-the-art, well-documented ERP solution which will serve as a reliable platform for future long-term growth.
This ERP system enables the retailers and sellers to maximize profits and set up a transparent business collaboration between customers, suppliers, and distributors.
The main benefits of the updated ERP are:
- Security & Scalability: the flexible modern architecture of the ERP is designed to be able to handle users using web/mobile/desktop clients, secure access ERP data using Public API; easy to develop new ERP modules and integrations.
- Ease of use: the new UI/UX simplified the workflow for its users, unified UI of all modules.
- Productivity & performance: the comprehensive web ERP is able to handle thousands of new users as a company continues to grow.