Integration of medical devices that connect via Bluetooth for a United States healthcare provider
Earlier, our technical specialists developed a healthcare application tailored for Android and iOS platforms. The project’s main goal was to facilitate smooth online communication between patients and clinicians. After the successful implementation of the healthcare application, our experts have decided to complement the solution. They integrated it with medical devices, which can be connected via Bluetooth.
For a successful synchronization of the healthcare application with different medical devices, our specialists investigated the data formats of the individual groups of devices. Our team worked out the approach for the quick extraction of the necessary indicators. Now the telemedicine application can automatically recognize and transfer the measured data, so it can be quickly displayed on the phone screen. For development, our team used FlutterBlue, a purpose-built bluetooth plugin for Flutter.
As was mentioned above, one of the project’s main objectives was the successful integration with personal medical devices. The purpose was to give patients the opportunity to share health indicators with their consulting physicians in a few clicks. As soon as the medical device is connected to the healthcare application, the indicators are automatically displayed on the screen. After that, the patient can share health data with the consulting physician via telehealth mobile application to receive an updated treatment plan.
Speaking about modern telemedicine in general, beyond the reviewed project, Abto Software sees many benefits in the development of mobile healthcare tools with the integrated ability to connect to personal medical devices. It should be noted that these are important for both individual patients and business.
The benefits of telemedicine can break down barriers between patients and high-level medical services. Especially in times of a pandemic.
Science and technology are the future. We believe that advanced medical solutions should be a priority for a company providing medical care.
How the solution works
- When opening the application, the patient gets access to the main menu. There they can choose between categories.
- To measure a certain health indicator, the patient must next select the relevant section. For example, the “glucose in blood”.
- The next step is to synchronize the personal medical device with the health app. The device can be selected from the list of all available devices with turned on Bluetooth.
- As soon as the health indicators are measured, the transferred health records will be instantly displayed on the app’s screen. The information can be then shared with the medical worker.
At the very moment, there are three types of personal medical devices that can be connected with the healthcare application:
- Blood glucose meter
- Pulse oximeter
- Blood pressure monitor
While complementing the earlier designed application, our team:
- Investigated the data formats of the individual groups of devices that might be connected
- Worked out an approach for the quick and smooth extraction of the measured indicators
- Integrated an advanced mobile healthcare application with personal medical devices
Main challenges faced during the project include the following matters:
- Avoiding the repeated use of the written code. This challenge was solved by writing the most universal code for the smooth interaction of the designed solution with several medical devices.
- Compliance with ISO / IEEE 11073. This requirement has been met through careful study of the accepted standards.
Compliance with ISO / IEEE 11073 Personal Health Device (PHD)
Manufacturers of medical devices use different data formats. This makes it difficult to integrate with health information systems. This prompted the IEEE and the International Organization for Standardization (the ISO) to create a series of standards. These are the so-called ISO/IEEE 11073 Personal Health Device (PHD).
Compliance with the mentioned medical standard is one of the main requirements in the telemedicine field. ISO / IEEE 11073 is, in lay terms, a group of standards relating to the compatibility of personal medical devices. Such devices include weight-scales, glucose monitors, and other medical devices that can be used without the help of a clinician. The standard is based on the IEEE11073 standards, but has several differences because of the emphasis on devices designed for personal use.
Tools and technologies
- FlutterBlue library
- July 2021 – November 2021
- 1 Flutter developer
- 1 Project manager
Value delivered to business
The delivered healthcare application:
- Sets the new standards for accessibility.
The delivered healthcare application makes high-quality medical care easily accessible.
- Saves time.
The application helps overwhelmed healthcare professionals to work more efficiently as it saves time that can be devoted to dedicated medical care.
- Accelerates digitalization.
With the help of the developed telemedicine solution, medical records can be easily digitalized.
- Attracts clients.
Thanks to the smooth integration with multiple personal medical devices, the provider can attract new clients and win the competition.
Abto Software’s extensive experience in telemedicine, as well as the customers’ desire to bring their businesses to a new level and improve the quality of the services provided, can create innovative solutions. For more detailed information on cooperation, please feel free to contact us.
What does the term telemedicine mean?
Telemedicine is the use of technologies and means of telecommunication for the remote provision of high-level medical services. Thanks to the use of technologies and the field knowledge of talented software engineers, medical workers are able to provide many services completely remotely.
What are the main telemedicine areas?
- Medical consultations for patients
- Remote biomonitoring
- Remote adjusting of patients’ treatment plans
- Emergency consultations between clinicians
- Live translations of surgeries
- Remote training
What are the overall future telemedicine market prospects?
According to Precedence Research, by 2030 the global telemedicine market is expected to reach around 225 billion USD. That means an impressive growth at a CAGR of 15,6% from 2021.
What are the challenges and pitfalls of healthcare application development?
Commonly, healthcare software development has its own hurdles. There are legislative nuances to consider when working on a telemedicine project. ISO / IEEE 11073 Personal Health Device (PHD) is a striking example. Some start-ups fail only because they are being inattentive to these factors.