Telemedicine platform for US healthcare provider
Abto Software has assisted a large healthcare provider operating multiple private clinics in the United States. The project was aimed at delivering an easy-to-navigate mobile application to facilitate healthcare delivery.
Our team has covered every phase from initial business analysis and design to deployment and maintenance. The cooperation has brought sensible benefits – the launched mobile application and its web version are being actively utilized to streamline appointment management, treatment planning, medication abidance, and other day-to-day operations.
Abto Software has joined the partnership with the medical provider to build a custom telemedicine platform. We focused on designing an easy-to-navigate telemedicine solution to optimize caregiver-patient interaction and accelerate remote services, as the whole project took place during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Our team was aimed:
- At building a custom telemedicine platform, respectively optimizing healthcare delivery
- At improving caregiver-patient interaction (mainly remote, but not excluding in-person)
- At facilitating medical insurance
- And streamlining data management, more specifically data collection and access
How the solution works
The platform includes four separate dashboards:
1. Administration panel
– User management (user registration, access provision and restriction)
– Medical insurance (coverage verification, payment processing, claim handling, and more)
2. Patient portal – patients can review prescribed treatment plans, make appointments, and receive important notifications
3. Clinician portal – clinicians can manage prescribed treatment plans, contact patients, and monitor health indicators
4. Nurse portal– nurses can access necessary patient information and use integrated maps
The solution comprises multiple essential features:
- User profiles
- Role-based dashboards
- Patient management (personal information, medical history)
- Appointment management (both remote and in-person appointment scheduling)
- Private chats
- Audio and video calls
- Treatment details
– Treatment plans
– Medication dosage and scheduling
– Test results
– Health indicators (dieting, allergies, measurements, symptoms)
- Treatment statistics
– Medication intake
– Medication omission
Besides already described functionality, the application also includes some useful third-party integrations. These embody popular applications that gather health indicators (sleep, heartbeat, steps made, and more), easy-to-use maps assisting personnel that provide home care, medical insurance, and PayPal – a popular electronic wallet – for patients paying independently.
Some features to mention talking about medical insurance:
- Remote verification (identity confirmation, personal information access provision)
- Automated routines (coverage verification, payment processing, claim handling, and more)
- Business analysis
- UI/UX design (specs, mockups, dynamic prototype)
- POC creation
- MVP development
- Third-party integration
- Product implementation
- Quality assurance
- Ongoing maintenance and support
- A cross-platform mobile application (iOS, Android)
- A handy web version that serves medical personnel (administration staff, clinicians, nurses)
The company operates multiple private clinics dealing with sensitive information in their day-to-day activities.
To ensure HIPAA compliance, we provided:
- Data encryption
- Two-factor authentication
- Automatic logout
- Electronic signatures
- Hidden notifications
- Forbidden screenshots
- Role-based access
- Data management
– The patient is the only one who can grant access to his personal information
– The patient is the only one who has complete control over his medical records, and can irrevocably delete stored details in case he stops using provided healthcare services
The company serves patients with completely different needs, including patients that have visual impairment. To assure product accessibility, we provided limited color, sufficient contrast, organized content, legible titles, size adjustments, and optional grayscale mode.
Electronic health record system
The clinics are managing medical information, which includes medical history, treatment details and statistics. To streamline data management, we provided smooth integration with Cerner, a reliable EHR system.
The solution is intended to facilitate identity confirmation, coverage verification, and other routine processes. To streamline daily operation, we provided direct integration with 15 insurance companies.
Tools and technologies
- React Native
- Azure SQL Database
- Azure App Services
- Azure Web Jobs
- Azure Web Function
- Azure App Insights
- Azure Active Directory
- Azure Key Vault
- Azure Storage
- Virtual Machines
- Service Bus
- Notification Hubs
Tools & third-party integrations:
- Oracle Cerner
- Google Maps
- Apple Health
- Google Fit
- Azure CI/CD
- Azure Boards
- Azure Test Plans
- Azure DevOps Wiki
- August 2021 – January 2022
- 1 project manager
- 1 business analyst
- 6 software developers
- 2 UI/UX designers
- 3 QA engineers
Value delivered to business
The delivered telemedicine platform provided for:
- Reduced time and cost
The platform is designed to enable remote tracking and consulting, which provides better resource-allocation. To date, the application is being actively utilized by 25 private clinics in the United States.
- Increased potential customer reach
The solution is designed to minimize personal meetings, which provides considerable benefits to patients suffering from infectious diseases, having limiting physical disabilities, or living in outlying, underserved areas. To boot, by using the application, the patients save 25% of costs.
- Facilitated digitization
The application helps gather, store, manipulate, and access medical records, which improves service delivery. More specifically, being used by +50% of patients, the solution is improving healthcare delivery for about 350,000 patients.
- Streamlined operation
The application is streamlining day-to-day operations, which comprise direct communication and cooperation, patient and appointment management, treatment and medication prescription, health monitoring, and other. What’s more, being integrated with 15 insurance companies, the solution also automates the processes associated with medical expenses.
To find out more about Abto Software expertise, request a quote or get a demo of your custom solution.